Dr Imran Rafi is the lead for the GP attachment for final year Medicine MBBS students. He is a GP and qualified from Newcastle University in 1988.
Prior to this, in 1983, he completed a Bachelor's degree in Computing Science. After general medical rotations in Newcastle, Dr Rafi went on to complete a PhD in Medical Oncology and then switched to General Practice training. Dr Rafi became a Member of the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) in 2000 and shortly afterwards completed a Master’s degree at St George’s in Public Health Medicine.
Dr Rafi is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and obtained a Diploma in Forensic Medicine Sciences in 2009. In 2012 he became Chair of the RCGP Clinical Innovation and Research Centre (CIRC) after being its Medical Director between 2010 and 2012.
Dr Rafi is the lead for the final year GP attachment on the Medicine MBBS.
- Mold F, de Lusignan S, Sheikh A, Majeed A, Wyatt JC, Quinn T, Cavill M, Gronlund TA, Franco C, Chauhan U, Blakey H, Kataria N, Barker F, Ellis B, Koczan P, Avanitis TA, McCarthy M, Jones S, Rafi I. (2015) Patients’ online access to their electronic health records and linked online services: a systematic review. British Journal of General Practice
- De Lusignan S, Mold F, Sheikh A, Majeed A, Wyatt JC, Quinn T, Cavill M, Gronlund TA, Franco C, Chauhan U, Blakey H, Kataria N, Barker F, Ellis B, Koczan P, Arvanitis TN, McCarthy M, Jones S, Rafi I. (2014) Patients’ online access to their electronic health records and linked online services: an interpretative review. BMJ Open
- Woodman J, Rafi I, de Lusignan S. (2014) Child maltreatment: time to rethink the role of general practice. Br J Gen Pract, England: 64 (626), pp. 444-445.
- Motor Neurone Disease. Nageshwaran S, Davies L, Rafi I, Radunovic A. BMJ: 2014, Vol. 349 Issue 7970, p32
- De Lusignan S, Morris L, Hassey A, Rafi I. (2013) Giving patients online access to their records: Opportunities, challenges, and scope for service transformation. British Journal of General Practice, 63 (611), pp. 286-287
- De Lusignan, S,Gallagher H, Jones S,Chan T,van Vlymen J,Tahir A, Thomas N, Jain N, Dmitrieva O, Rafi I,McGovern A and Harris K(2013). Audit-based education lowers systolic blood pressure in chronic kidney disease: the Quality Improvement in CKD (QICKD) trial results. Kidney International advance online publication.
- Rafi I, Chowdhury S, Chan T, Jubber I, Tahir M, de Lusignan S. (2013) Improving the management of people with a family history of breast cancer in primary care: before and after study of audit-based education. BMC Fam Pract, England.
- Dent T, Jbilou J, Rafi I, Segnan N, Törnberg S, Chowdhury S, Hall A, Lyratzopoulos G, Eeles R, Eccles D, Hallowell N, Pashayan N, Pharoah P and Burton H (2013). Stratified cancer screening: the practicalities of implementation. Public Health Genomics. Jan 26.
- Ellis J, Rafi I, Smith H and Sheikh A (2013). Identifying current training provision and future training needs in allergy available for UK general practice trainees: national cross-sectional survey of General Practitioner Specialist Training programme directors. Primary Care Respiratory Journal Mar; 22(1):19-22.
- Woodman J, de Lusignan S, Rafi I, Allister J, Gilbert R. (2012) GPs' role in safeguarding children. BMJ, 345 Article number ARTN e4758 doi: 10.1136/bmj.e4758.
Professor Simon de Lusignan (University of Surrey): Online access
Professor Chis Salisbury (University of Bristol): Multimorbidity
Professor Rosalind Eeles (Institute of Cancer Research): Prostate cancer
Professor Willie Hamilton (University of Exeter): Rare diseases
Professor Nadeem Quereshi (University of Nottingham): Genomics
Dr Rafi takes a keen interest in primary care genetics and the application of genomic medicine. This has included educational workshops with Dr John Spicer and through the primary care genetics society.
Recent work has been with Patient Online Access, working through the Royal College of General Practitioners.
Recent work has been completion of the systematic review on patient online access with Professor Simon de Lusignan and his research team which includes Dr Freda Mold.
Dr Rafi is working with Professor Chris Salisbury on the 3D Study.