If you intend to study at St George’s as an undergraduate, postgraduate, elective or overseas transfer student, you may be subject to immigration control in the UK.

St George's entrance - girl with flower in hair

Those who do need a visa

If you have a valid passport from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, you will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa.


Those who don't need a visa

If you have a valid EEA or Swiss passport, or if you're a dual national (person with two or more nationalities) who holds an EEA/Swiss passport, you may not need a visa to study here.

Read the GOV.UK guidance to find out which countries are included as EEA

If you're a British overseas territories citizen (except those from one of the sovereign base areas in Cyprus) you don't need a visa to study in the UK.

If you're a Commonwealth citizen with permission to stay or enter the UK because one of your grandparents was born here, you may not need a visa to study in the UK. If you think this may apply to you, please email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

For additional information visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website

Please note that the above information is subject to change; please check the GOV.UK website for updates. This information is provided is given in good faith for information purposes only. This information is not intended constitute legal advice. St George’s, University of London does not warrant the accuracy of the information provided and accepts no liability whatsoever on any claims arising from it.


Last Updated: Thursday, 07 December 2017 14:12